Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tis' the season for donating.

Isn't this true? Everywhere you look, people are in need of donations. I try to help out anywhere I can.

Lil' E and I went to Publix on Sunday for a couple of things and the "feed the bay" was there. Erin asked a couple of questions about it, so I grabbed a shopping list and asked him to pick out a few things that we could donate to help a family in need. I'm not sure if he understood the whole concept, but I gave it a shot and he did like the fact he was helping out. Here are the items he chose to buy...Green Beans, Corn, and Mac & Cheese noodles. He told me that every little boy likes Green Beans, Corn & Mac & Cheese noodles. At least he was thinking about it.

Finally, a donation drive at school that I completely agree with!! The little's school is doing a book drive to benefit the Shriner's Hospitals. Not many people know, but my stepfather is the Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Shriner's Hospitals. What a wonderful organization to give to! They ask for slightly used books for the Tampa Hospital. That was a no-brainer. And my kids know what the Shriner's do for children in need. I have drilled that in their heads and they were very excited to be helping them out. The other drive the school was participating was a diaper derby, to benefit woman and children in need at shelters. Any size, any brand ... again a no-brainer. They did do a food drive, and the kids brought in some canned goods.

And Trevor is obsessed with the Salvation Army Bell Ringers. I no longer am carrying around any change, Trevor has donated it all to the red bucket.

So far I think it has been a successful donating season. I'd like to think that donating to these worthy organizations has helped my children understand that we should be grateful for all we have, because there are many people who aren't as fortunate.

2 Comments:

Yellow Beads said...

I heard on the radio today that even though the economy is down, people are still DONATING! that's great news!!

Melodie said...

My church is collecting summer clothes to send to Haiti for the people there who lost everything in the recent hurricanes. It makes me feel good that I can help other people out and also celan out my girls' closets at the same time!