Thursday, October 16, 2008

big news - in a an avian kinda way.

I found this in the Cockatiel's cage Monday night. Look real close, under Samie's wing

It's an egg. A cockatiel egg. I'm going to be a cockatiels baby grandma! And I'm struggling with the happiness that should come with such a huge event. But you know who is going to be taking care of these little furry bundles of joy. ME! I'll be hand feeding. That is, IF THEY HATCH. I'm not doing anything to stop them from hatching. Because if you take eggs away from a Cockatiel Momma, she continues to lay eggs. And I don't want to taken over by eggs.

We had bought Rachael a cockatiel about 2 years ago, because she HAD to have one. His name is Samie. We thought Samie was a boy. Then about 8 months ago, we FOUND a cockatiel and we thought he was boy too. Well, we are right about Bingo. Bingo is a boy. Samie, well we now know she is a girl!

About 2 weeks ago, Little Erin told me that Samie was giving Bingo a piggyback. I thought that Bingo was just being a little aggressive. But thanks to a "google search", we now know that they were getting a little freaky in the cage! Duh, I should have know what comes next. But seriously, who has time to think about Cockatiel eggs??

So now we have two eggs in the nest. I am fairly certain that one egg is not going survive. It wasn't laid in the nest, and it was rolled around a little, kinda like my Sunday morning scramble. The second egg appeared last night during 6pm and 7:30pm. That was laid in the nest, and seems to be holding its own under Samie's wing. And according to my research, she should lay at least 2 to 4 more.

My biggest problem is what the heck to I do if they actually hatch!! I'm going to have to find a bird daycare. I clearly can't take chicks to work with me. Everyone in my building will be calling me the "bird lady". Who wants to be known as that!

My research tell me that it is difficult to get these little guys to hatch. So I may not even be a cockatiel baby grandma. But the kids think it is cool.

But I'm afraid that when day 18 comes and there is only very still eggs sitting in the cage, there may be a little disappointment on their faces.

That's when I say..."Pile in the car, we're going for ice cream". So keep your fingers crossed.

Here are pictures of the happy couple.


Samie "The Momma"

Bingo "The Papa"





3 Comments:

Beth said...

Congratulations Granny! :)

Beth said...

Ben wants to see the baby birds when they hatch.

Anonymous said...

I hope it happens or doesn't happen before I get there. Please!!