Saturday, July 12, 2008

only Trevor.

Now that Trevor just turned two, I really need to start weaning off his pacifier. All my kids were nu-nu kids (Quinn lingo for pacifier). All of them used it until they turned two, I think Erin had his a little longer.

I'm not really into that entire Association of Pediatrics says .... blah, blah, blah. Come live a day with me and you would give the child a nu-nu too. My position is that it is easier to take away the nu-nu than their thumb. So there it is, my opinion of the pacifier debate. To me there really isn't a debate. It works me, may not work for you and that is OK.

Well, we are down to 3 pacifiers in my home that we can find. At high nu-nu time we were around 10, you can see he is beginning to leave them lying around. I like his pacifier, it calms him down. He is in a place now where he really is trying to communicate with all his being. We really only understand some of what he is saying. NO, GO, BAD DOG, BAD SISSY, BAD ROO, BAD MOMMA, and NU-NU, come across really clear. So it is too late to take it away before he can ask for it. So we are now approaching "Plan B". And it isn't pleasant....

As the pacifiers get holes in them from Trevor biting them, I will start cutting them back until only the handles are left. This worked for both Rachael and Erin. They both walked around holding handles for about a week, until they figured out the suckie parts weren't coming back. And then we avoid that the Nu-Nu aisle for about 6 months when we go shopping. It isn't the easiest way, but it works and I'm a complete wimp when it comes to not giving my baby what he needs in terms of comfort. The baby tears get me every time.

Here is a picture of Trevor that Nanny took last week on the way back from the airport. He decided that two Nu-Nu's were better than one! Gotta love him .........




1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

When a 2 yrs old tells you how and when he likes his nu-nu, it is time to cut back. My opinion is when he doesn't need a bottle any more,he doesn't need a nu-nu any more either. Good luck with the withdrawal.
Love,
MOM