Thursday, January 8, 2009

I'm losing sleep .....

"The Rach" is turning 11 next month. I am completely blown away that my baby girl is turning 11 years old. She is leaving elementary school this year too. She will be leaving the only school she has ever gone to. She will be leaving a huge piece of her childhood behind. That makes me very sad.

I have a huge decision to make and besides everything that is going on in my crazy life, I need to figure out where my darling Rachael should attend school next year. Currently she is ready to go to a local Middle School that is a very good school and this is where she wants to go. Ask Rachael and she'll tell you she wants to stay with her "current school" friends, make the move together, keep friendships intact. As a mom, I like that idea. These are girls she has grown with, fought with, spent time with each others families & girls that have been to my home so many times I can't count. I wouldn't have to ever wonder what she was doing if she was with this group of girls. Seems like an easy decision, huh ?? A no-brainer ......

NOT !

There is also a local magnet school for the dramatic and performing arts. It is now one of the most sought after middle schools. Rachael loves dance, violin & has a huge interest in the performing arts. With our family schedule any other activities after school are just to difficult. She participated in dance last year, but this year her training schedule for soccer was just too difficult. At this school, she could dance and take her violin lessons during school hours. She does have some friends who go to this school. And because it is a magnet school the student body is pulled from so many other areas, making new friends is something every student has to do. And Rachael wants to dance again & continue her violin lessons. And Rachael likes this option too.

Rachael is having a problem making the decision too !!

What is a mom to do?? I'm losing sleep and need to make a decision SOON ! I completed the application today and sent it in. If she gets accepted, then we need to figure it out. UGH !!

Anyone have some insight ??

3 Comments:

Beth said...

I was going to ask you about this the other night. We're considering sending Ben to the IB Magnet. Megan went to the Enviromental Studies Magnet all 3 years, but Jordan only went there for 6th. I wish I could keep him in elementary forever!

Yellow Beads said...

oh that is a hard decision! I have no advice, but wanted to know I am thinking about you!

Melodie said...

Have you toured the schools yet? Maybe that would make Rachael's decision easier.