Sunday, August 17, 2008

lessons learned.

It does look like we will get this storm in one way or another. It doesn't look to be terribly bad, just bad enough to close some schools, lose some electricity, need some clean-up. We aren't all that concerned with it, but nonetheless need to make some preparations.

I started thinking back to 2004 Hurricane season and all things I wished I had done before Jeanne and Francis came barreling through. Francis was a little more kind than Jeanne, Jeanne left us without electricity for 5 very miserable and hot sticky days, the kids were entertaining themselves and Little Erin fell and broke his foot, we didn't have propane because we (not really me) forgot that we were out of propane ...... oh, the memories ...

Lessons Learned:
1. Make sure there is propane for the grill.
2. Get the laundry done prior to the electricity being out.
3. Make sure the load in the dryer is dry (mildew mysteriously appears)
4. Run the dishwasher before the electricity goes out. This shouldn't need explaining.
5. Make coffee and put it in the refrigerator, it can be heated up via the grill (remember propane)
6. The freezer is your friend, freeze what you can...trust me it will eventually thaw & quickly.
7. Rain brings bugs...keep mosquito repellent and various bug spray handy.

Today our family is going to get the last of the school supplies. Because if nothing else, I think we can squeeze the first day of school in on Monday. Probably no school on Tuesday. I'm going to pick up a few more batteries, I have lots of candles and other supplies. I think I will tidy up the back lanai just in case the wind wants to blow everything around.

My office is on the bay, and it is a high rise. It will close as soon as a Hurricane Warning is posted. So, I have that to look forward to.

Other than that ... Bring it .... I could use a day off ......

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you took a pic of the first day of school. Big event!!! I don't like you having to fend off hurricanes. Thank goodness for cell phones. Use them sparingly, they need electricity too.
Good luck.
MOM

alexander said...

Hi Joanne, didn't know you could leave comments. Thanks for the information. I don't always see it right away as my life working and with Stan is busy. How can I say that when you have 4 children and work. I do hope the Hurricane doesn't hit hard where you are. Please keep us posted.